Azarnouche, Samra (ed.). 2022. À la recherche de la continuité iranienne: de la tradition zoroastrienne à la mystique islamique. Recueil de textes autour de l’œuvre de Marijan Molé (1924-1963). Turnhout: Brepols.
The work of the Polish-Slovenian Iranian scholar Marijan Molé (1924-1963) has had a profound influence on the religious sciences that can be observed to this day. In barely fifteen years (1948-1963), he was able to give unprecedented impetus to Iranian studies, thanks to the meticulous study of corpora ranging from the Avesta and Middle Persian Zoroastrian literature to treatises on Islamic mysticism, including Persian epics and mythical gestures. Too soon interrupted, the vast project that he had begun during his years of study in Krakow and which he pursued in Paris and Tehran had as its main axis the uncovering of a unitary system that would underpin the evolution of a religious doctrine over the long term, an “Iranian continuity”.
The recent discovery of his Nachlass (IRHT and BULAC, Paris) provides us with the opportunity to take stock of his legacy and to try to highlight the originality of his approach and his contribution to the history of ideas and to the intellectual debate on the religions of Iran, by identifying both the achievements and the dead ends, the innovations and the extensions.
The present volume gathers the contributions on Zoroastrianism and Islamic mysticism, presented at the international study day entitled “Between Mazdeism and Islam”, dedicated to the work of Marijan Molé, which was held on 24 June 2016 in Paris.
Table of Contents
- Chronologie de la vie de Marijan Molé (1924-1963)
- Bibliographie de Marijan Molé
- Gianroberto Scarcia: “Souvenir de Marijan Molé”
- Anna Krasnowolska: “Marijan Molé’s Early Works and his Study of Persian Epics
- Jean Kellens: “1956-1964: Le printemps des études gâthiques”
- Philippe Swennen: “Marijan Molé à l’aube du nouveau comparatisme indo-iranien”
- Shaul Shaked: “A Zoroastrian Anthropological Theology”
- Antonio Panaino: “Le gētīg dans le mēnōg et le système chiliadique mazdéen selon la réflexion de Marijan Molé
- Pierre lory: “Marijan Molé, ‘Azîz Nasafî et l’Homme Parfait”
- Michel Tardieu: “Les Mystiques musulmans de Marijan Molé: contextes et enjeux”.
- Appendice: Note brève sur le messalianisme
- Florence Somer: “Marijan Molé et la «tradition jamaspienne»: le traité apocalyptique inédit des Aḥkām ī Jāmāsp”
- Alexey Khismatulin: “Destiny of the Unpublished Works by Marijan Molé on the Naqshbandiya”.
- Appendice: Description of “fonds Molé” (IRHT, Paris)
- Appendice I: Marijan Molé: “Les origines de la geste sistanienne”
- Appendice II: Correspondances
- Appendice III: Description du fonds Marijan Molé (BULAC)