Safaee, Yazdan. 2016. Darius III: The Last Great King. Tehran: Hamisheh.
In comparison to his Macedonian antagonist, Darius III has attracted less attention. The present work is an analysis of the events leading to his reign.The author also deals with problems Darius was facing before Alexander’s attacks, and then the battles between the two armies which led to the end of the Empire.
Table of contents
- 1. Background: The Rise of Darius III
- 1.1. From Artaxerxes III to Darius III
- 1.2. Sporadic revolts in Babylonia and Egypt
- 1.2.1. Local revolt in Babylonia: Uruk
- 1.2.2. Local revolt in Egypt: Memphis and Thebes
- 2. Alexander of Macedon: from monarchy to beginning of onslaught
- 3. The battles between Darius and Alexander
- 3.1. The battle of Granicus
- 3.2. The battle of Issus and loss of the western half of the empire
- 3.3. From Gaugamela to end of an Empire
- 4. Darius among archaeological evidence?
- 4.1. Persepolis: the unfinished tomb
- 4.2. A coin attributed to Darius
- 4.3. The Pompeii mosaic
- 5. Outcome
صفایی، یزدان. ۱۳۹۵. داریوش سوم: آخرین شاه بزرگ. تهران: همیشه