Between Zoroastrianism and Islam
International conference on the work of Marijan Molé
Friday, June 24, 2016, École française d’Extrême-Orient – 22, avenue du Président Wilson, 75116 Paris.
Organized by Samra Azarnouche (EPHE).
The works of Marijan Molé (1924-1963) has left a distinctive and lasting imprint on the field of Iranian Studies. His careful and insightful studies on the Avestan and Middle Persian literature, the Islamic mystical treatises as well as the Persian epics play an important role in our understanding of Iranian history, culture and religions. This conference focuses on one of the peculiarities of Molé’s research, namely the scholarly attempt at bridging the gap between pre-Islamic and Islamic Iranian Studies, between the different strata of religious and literary traditions, and between the great mythical and prophetic figures. The (recent) discovery of his Nachlass (IRHT and BULAC) gives us the opportunity to make an inventory of his legacy, which highlights the originality of his approach in the study of religions.
MOLÉ ET L’AVESTA: ENTRE TRADITION ET COMPARATISME
- Jean Kellens: “le printemps des études gâtiques”
- Philippe Swennen: “Marijan Molé à l’aube du nouveau comparatisme indo-iranien”
PROPHÈTES ET HÉROS
- Anna Krasnowolska: “Molé’s Early Works and his Study of Persian Epics”
- Michel Tardieu: “Vies de Zoroastre, Vies de Mani, Vies de Muhammad :un apport de M. Molé à l’histoire des religions”
COSMOLOGIE ET ESCHATOLOGIE : D’UNE TRADITION À L’AUTRE
- Antonio Panaino: “Le gētīg dans le mēnōg et le système chiliadique mazdéen” selon la réflexion de Marijan Molé
- Shaul Shaked: “Immortality and Eschatology”
- Pierre Lory: “Marijan Molé, ‘Aziz Nasafî et l’Homme Parfait”
RAYONNEMENT ET POSTÉRITÉ DE L’OEUVRE
- Jaleh Amouzegar: “Marijan Molé en Iran”
- Alexey Khismatulin: “He was years ahead of his time: Destiny of the Unpublished Works by Molé on the Naqshbandiya”
- Conclusions: Frantz Grenet